Each year, the Chamber of Commerce solicits nominations from residents of Marissa for the Marissa’s Valuable Person award. The MVP Award is open to anyone in the community who has exhibited outstanding community service, selfless giving and commitment to the Village of Marissa - past or present. We hope this award is a catalyst to entice others to get involved and make a difference in our community. Because together, we can make a difference!
Past recipients of the MVP Award include: Elden Reuss, William A. Norton, Dr. Gary Benedict and Lee “Coach” Schulte. This year, the committee received several excellent nominations and all nominees exhibited superior contributions to Marissa and their qualifications were outstanding. The decision was very difficult but, unfortunately, the committee could only select one individual as Marissa’s Valuable Person.
We would like to congratulate this year's winner, Debbie Smith. Ms. Smith has lived in Marissa for many years, serving the community in a variety of ways:
- Charter member of Marissa PTA
- Marissa Khoury League T-ball Coach, served on the Board, and managed the Concession Stand.
- Coal Festival Committee for over 25 years and has been chairman of the Queen, Prince and Princess Competition for many years. This person started kids Day Activities, has been in charge of the parade for many years, and currently serves as Co-president.
- Started the Marissa Chili Cook Off and chaired it all nine years.
- Member of Marissa Business and Professional Women for 25 years and has held all offices. This person has served as chairperson for the Easter Egg Hunt, Trunk or Treat and Lunch with Santa. She has also served as a board member of the Marissa BPW Pre-School and currently serves as President. If my memory serves me correctly, she started the BPW Christmas Walk.
- Member of Marissa Chamber of Commerce where she has served on the Board of Directors and held the offices of Secretary, Vice President, President and Past President, in addition to chairing countless committees.
Yard of the Month
Kim and Rufus King
North Main Street
Milissa and Rob Dorf